Friday, August 8, 2008

vital

Today I watched my little sister drive away in an unfamiliar truck; she was going on a date. While she left, my mom stared. When she finally decided to break the silence, my mom simply talked about how my sister just left. I could see that my mom was hurt by the whole situation, seeing as my sister is the younger one, but it still made me wonder.

Why do parents try to prolong what is inevitable? It seems as if they try to stop their kids from experiencing life. The moments I'm talking about are those that are vital for any adult to have gone through, such as moving away, going on dates, and spending more time away from home. Parents try to prolong these events because they don't want to see the day their kids don't need them anymore, thus they try to extend time until these events have to occur.

But does this really work? If they wait for their spawn to go through certain events, then won't it just hurt more when they finally have to cut the apron strings? From my point of view, it will hurt more that way.

I guess I'm just releasing my angst in a weird way and telling my mom to let me grow up, but someone has to tell all the parents.

Currently listening to Fiona Apple.

No comments: